Monday, December 15, 2008

Somnium




As long as I can remember I’ve been having déjà vu’s, in fact I’ve been blighted by it. Majority of these precognitions have, more or less, come true. Many of which were light and happy moments that I cherish, others were certain locations that I was sure I would never visit; but inevitably have done so. And then there are those horrible ones; half of which are yet to come true. Looking at the probability, I’m sure sooner or later it is bound to happen. The horrid ones are too brutal; for example, one of which I distinctly remember was lying down on the streets and taking a sip of sewage water!

Now here’s another fact, as long as I remember the dream in my head, it won’t happen. Its only when they are long gone and forgotten would it happen, and then strike me as a déjà vu moment. You know, this conception is so vague; all these might as well be dreams or nightmares that every common guy has, and me like an indolent nut-job mistake these as so called Déjà vu’s. 

Let’s excursively move away, for a moment, from the topic and introduce something very anarchic; the concept of Alternate Reality. It was somewhere around the time my world began to twist, that I learned about this façade; it’s something outstandingly baffling! Like many existing theories that deal with parallel universes or alternate futures; from quantum mechanics to the butterfly effect. All focus, more or less on certain events leading to a certain outcome; and if those events occurred in a different way, irrevocably the outcome too would have changed. The concept I was intrigued by was irrational from the rest. It was by far staggeringly different from normal ones and was introduced first by one Jorge Luis Borges, long before the theory of Quantum Mechanics or even the first digital computer. Where, he says, that things can occur in different parallel ways, infinitely. I.e. most times, a person chooses one path from many alternatives and eliminates the rest, hence only one possible future. What Borges says is that all these alternatives occur simultaneously, each one leading to other alternatives to choose from. Sometimes, these alternatives cross each other. Using the same example he used; in one world a person enters a house of a stranger as a friend. In another, as an enemy. But the fact that in both these worlds, the person entered the house of a stranger, whether as friend or an enemy depended entirely on the choices he made. This sort of concept was used in his short story; The Garden of Forking Paths [Link]. Worth the read…

Alternate Reality

Coming back, sometimes I wonder if life would have taken another turn, or another path and these dreams are the alternate reality; something that might have taken place if I had done something in such and such way. Probably it is something that’s telling me that I’ve already taken the right path and these nightmares would’ve been the alternatives that would’ve happened if I had chosen otherwise. Or is it the obvious… My inevitable future?

I know that certain choices made might affect certain things in the future, but what I want to know is;  if choices I make is going to turmoil the future, why is that in my dreams I can see glimpses of it? That of which most have come true; except for those I still remember. And I’ve forgotten many others; and I know for sure that they are yet to come and I’m yet to go “Déjà vu!”. And, here’s the real psycho-demonic part of it all, there have been ones where I’ve seen the one, my one. It IS weird, I know. But they were just small glimpses, and I’ve probably forgotten how she looks like, though I do remember her height and her tomboyish hair.

A Terrible Mystery

I’m not saying any further because I want it to be nothing but a terrible mystery...  So  I laugh it all off ‘cos I believe I'm living a life that goes on, and moving forward. For that matter, I've also decided that alternate reality is a miserable construct for the true losers who can’t take a hold of their lives.  And I end it in the words of Morpheus, “What happened, happened and could not have happened any other way…”.

[Disclaimer: Since I have penned all this down, There’s no way I’m ever going to forget it, and as long as I don’t forget it, It won’t happen. So prospective youknowwhos, don’t hesitate… Yet… :D]